I recently picked up one item from the new MAC Cosmetics Maleficent Collection and that was the one lipstick, True Love’s Kiss. What is it about red lipstick that is so classic and alluring? I have plenty of them in my collection, but I couldn’t pass this one up because it seemed so pigmented, creamy, and bright. I put together a Maleficent-inspired makeup look to go along with the lipstick: simple brown eyeshadow that is shaped into a cat-eye to elongate the eyes and add to the sexiness of the look. I have full details inside,
[Some products may be press samples.]
When thinking about Maleficent, I thought about her headpiece which has the horns and the widow’s peak at the hairline. There are a lot of angles going on, and usually angles in makeup create more of a sexy, sultry, and sometimes evil (in the case of Maleficent!) look. Since red lipstick is bold, and True Love’s Kiss is an amplified finish (meaning: super pigmented and bright), I decided to do a cat-eye with eyeshadow instead of liner. It’s super simple and I used ONE brush for this entire look, an angled eyeshadow brush. Here’s what I did:
- I popped a medium brown over my entire eyelid and into the crease of my eye, creating the shape of my cat-eye. Every person’s eye shape is going to be different, and it also depends on how dramatic or subtle you want the cat-eye to look. I angled mine to stop just outside of the end of my brows. Continue building up this eyelid shade into the crease and cat-eye.
- Using the same brush, I applied a dark brown into the outer crease and cat-eye flick. Blend it well by using a sweeping motion.
- Again, with the same brush, apply the dark brown under your lower lash-line.
- To finish off the look, apply a light champagne shade to the inner corners of your eyes.
The entire look was done with one brush! I added some flesh colored liner to my lower water-line and left eyeliner off of my eyes so that they would look as large as possible. I curled my lashes and applied mascara.
EYE PRODUCTS USED: It Cosmetics “Naturally Pretty” Eyeshadow Trio, Sigma SS275 (now the E70) Brush, Stila Kajal Liner in “Topaz”, and Dior Iconic Overcurl Mascara.
Here is MAC Cosmetics True Love’s Kiss Lipstick. It is an amplified finish. It is absolutely breathtaking. Amplified finish lipsticks by MAC are usually always super pigmented, bright, and on-the-money. This one is no exception, and it is as red as red gets. Here’s how I get the perfect red lip:
- I lined my lips with a red lip pencil and filled them in with the same lip pencil. This helps the red color to last longer.
- Carefully, I applied the lipstick to my lips.
- Using a tissue, I blotted my lips onto the tissue and applied another coat of lipstick. This helps the lipstick last much, much longer.
- Going back with a brush, I cleaned up the edges using concealer, this way the lines were perfectly crisp and clean.
LIP PRODUCTS USED: Milani Lip Pencil in “02 – True Red”, MAC Cosmetics “True Love’s Kiss” Lipstick.
I kept the skin really crisp and clean for this look. It was important for me to contour my cheekbones and create angles to my face, just like Maleficent has. A sculpted face also looks really great with red lipstick. Here’s what I did:
- I applied a luminous primer to my skin to prep it for foundation.
- I applied foundation all over, and then applied concealer in a triangle shape from underneath my eye to the sides of my nose and back up the outer corners of my eyes. I blended it out well.
- I used a matte bronzer to contour my cheekbones, hairline, jaw, and nose.
- I used a neutral beige blush for my cheekbones.
FACE PRODUCTS USED: Almay Smart Shade CC Luminous Primer, Covergirl “Ready, Set, Gorgeous” Foundation in “205 – Natural Beige”, Covergirl “Ready, Set, Gorgeous” Concealer in “105 – 110”, Tarte “Hotel Heiress” Bronzer, and MAC “Prism” Blush.
THE FINISHED, COMPLETE LOOK:
MAC Cosmetics “True Love’s Kiss” Lipstick is currently sold out online at MAC’s website, however, the other items in the collection are still up and available for purchase.
[ALL PHOTOGRAPHY ON THIS SITE IS TAKEN BY REBECCA KAZIMIR. NO PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.]
[This article contains sample products provided by the brand or PR company. Beauty Gala’s opinions are our own, and we commit ourselves to honesty in our reviews and descriptions at all times. Sample products are not guaranteed a review. For consideration of your product, please send all PR requests to Rebecca@beautygala.com, or by using our Press Inquiry Form.]