Time for another installment of my 5 Favorite Finds of the Week! I always love curating these because sometimes I end up finding a common theme or connection for that week, and sometimes my picks are completely random and all over the place. This week, they actually seem to have an “all natural” theme of being earthy. Peek inside for my finds!
1. Fresh basil. I am the “Spice Queen” when it comes to my food. Over the years of changing my eating habits, I’ve learned to flavor food with healthy ingredients and having fresh herbs is a must for me. My personal favorite is basil, and I never get tired of smelling the plant. Growing fresh herbs is so simple and easy that absolutely anyone can do it, even if you live in a tiny apartment with no outdoor space. You can find an already matured plant at most home-improvement stores in the garden section. Simply plant one of these into a pot, and watch it flourish on the windowsill. I’ll probably transfer my basil plant outdoors in about a month when it will be safe from frost, but you can grow fresh herbs entirely indoors in pots, as well. Some of my other favorite herbs include Italian parsley, rosemary, and mint.
2. Throwback Herbal Essences Shampoo & Conditioner. Herbal Essences recently brought back the 1990’s bottles and formula of their famous shampoo and conditioner. I was so excited when I found out that I ran out to the store to grab myself a bunch of bottles. They were almost sold out everywhere near me, so I know I’m not alone in loving these. The old scent, formula, and bottles remind me of being in middle school and high school. I’ve been using these for almost two months now, and I adore them. They contain no silicone or sulfates, either, which I’m really big on skipping in shampoo and conditioner. My hair feels shiny, long, strong, and healthy when I use products with no silicone or sulfates in them. The best part though is, by far, the scent of these. It travels everywhere with me all day, and even my pillowcase smells like this heavenly formula.
3. The Wet Brush. I intend to do a full review on this product on the blog soon, but I must tell you that this is the best brush I have ever used in my life. I never would have thought I’d get so excited over a brush, but alas, here I am. I was always taught that you never use a brush on wet hair, but this changes everything. The brush is designed to untangle even the thickest hair, and untangle it does. This brush gets out every single knot in my hair, and it manages to make my hair look smoother and fuller once it is dry. The bristles are super soft and flexible and have a little bump at the end of them that massages your scalp and feels really good. This is essential if you’re growing out your hair, because a scalp massage brings circulation to that area which helps your hair grow. Every night before I go to sleep I brush through my hair and give myself a scalp massage with this brush. Not only is it relaxing, but my hair is longer than ever, and feels healthier than it has in years.
4. Purple Moccasins. Once upon a time there was a young woman who never wanted to wear flat or comfortable shoes. She would give herself blisters on narrow and ill-fitting heels. Then, this young woman discovered that you can still be stylish and chic by wearing comfortable and cute flats. She lived happily ever after in her purple moccasins. These are so unbelievably comfortable and I still get a ton of compliments on them every single time I go out. I like that I can just slip these on and off and they end up molding to your foot shape. These are Minnetonka “Kilty” Moccasins that I purchased from Nordstrom. I purchased a full size down from my regular size 10 shoe and these fit perfectly. My favorite color, plus a perfectly comfortable and cute shoe means my feet and my fashion sense can live in harmony.
5. The Honest Life by Jessica Alba. I have admired Jessica Alba for awhile now, ever since she started her project against artificial preservatives and chemicals in the food we eat and the products we use. Her company, The Honest Company, was founded on this principle. Her book, The Honest Life, was just recently released, and I knew I had to get a copy of it immediately. She goes into wonderful detail about the products we use and consume on an everyday basis, and how they may be negatively impacting us. A lot of the information is composed of things I already knew, but there are also a lot of startling facts in it that made me think twice about the brands I buy and use. She covers everything from food to fashion to baby products to cleaning products to makeup in it. Kudos to Jessica for being more than just a pretty face, and for being a forward-thinking entrepreneur!
What are your favorite finds for the week?
[ALL PHOTOGRAPHY ON THIS SITE IS TAKEN BY REBECCA KAZIMIR. NO PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.]