The 2015 Golden Globes were on just the other night and while I don’t actually watch the ceremony, I love looking at red carpet photographs of hair and makeup. One of my favorite looks of the night was Jennifer Lopez. For those of you who know me, she has always been my biggest makeup inspiration and muse. I adore her skin and how she takes care of it, and I always love her dewy glow and smokey eye makeup looks. This look received quite a bit of attention and I did see mixed reviews. Some people thought her eye makeup was too heavy and looked a bit like a raccoon. I decided to do an inspired look that breaks down her makeup look for you so you can recreate it at home. I toned down the look ever-so-slightly to make it more wearable for the average person, as well. I’ve got full product details inside as well as a tutorial!
[Some products may be press samples.]
THE MUSE: Jennifer Lopez at the 2015 Golden Globes…intense, dark, matte smokey eye makeup with bronzed, dewy, glowing skin and nude lips.
One of the things I love about Jennifer Lopez is her ability to stand out in a crowd. We saw mostly very elegant, soft colors on the red carpet and along comes J.Lo…BOOM! Her eye makeup is all matte, making it very age appropriate for her and anyone else who may be concerned about fine lines around their eyes. She wears shimmer eyeshadow often, but there’s something about an all-matte smokey eye that is super sexy and sophisticated. We see a pop of plum blended out into the sockets of her eyes and the eyeshadow itself is blended into an angled cat-eye shape, which emphasizes her almond-shaped eyes. What’s great about this look is that if you’ve got hazel or brown eyes, the darkness of the eyeshadow makes your eyes look lighter in contrast, so they really pop.
HOW TO GET THE EYES: You’re going to need 3 matte eyeshadow shades: A muted grey-plum, a stone grey, and a flat black. You’ll also need black eyeliner. False lashes are optional.
- Using a matte grey-plum shade, apply it generously to the crease of your eye and work it upward toward your brows. I used Makeup Geek’s “Cupcake” Eyeshadow, which is the perfect muted plum shade for this transitional color.
- Using your matte black, apply it to the crease of your eye only and create a sideways “V” shape on the outer third of your eye. Carve out a cat-eye shape that extends to the end of your eyebrow with this shade. Also apply this matte black shade along your lower lashes.
- Apply the matte stone grey shade over your entire eyelid and inner corners of your eye. I used a matte grey and matte black from my LORAC Mega Pro Palette.
- Using the plum shade, blend out the bottom lash-line so that it has a very smokey, diffused look.
- At this point, you want to blend, blend, blend. I went back numerous times and repeated Steps 1-4, just adding more color, blending out any harsh edges, and making sure the look was just right. The key here is to be patient, layer, and blend your way to a diffused smokey eye.
- Apply black eyeliner to your lower water-line and tight-line your upper lashes. I used Urban Decay’s 24/7 Velvet Liner in Black Velvet.
- Curl your lashes and apply mascara. Add false lashes for extra drama. I used Ardell Demi Wispies.
The result is a cat-eye shaped smokey eye that has a diffused plum effect peeking out. It looks more plum when you look at it up close, but when you zoom out, it just looks slightly purple and well-blended.
HOW TO GET THE LIPS: Jennifer Lopez is a L’oreal spokeswoman, and I am betting that they used L’oreal on her for the Golden Globes. She happens to have a lipstick shade that I love very much called “J.Lo’s Nude,” and I used it for this look.
HOW TO GET THE FACE MAKEUP: The key here is that ultra luminous, dewy, golden look that J.Lo is known for. You want to make sure your face is moisturized well and you’re using a luminous foundation. Contour your cheekbones and sculpt them out well, leaving the apples of your cheeks golden and bare. Apply highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, down the center of your nose, and around the Cupid’s Bow of your lips.
- Revlon Airbrush Foundation on 006 – Medium Beige
- Smashbox Bronze Lights in “Suntan Matte”
- BECCA Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector in “Opal”
- Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil in “Caramel”
THE COMPLETED LOOK:
My look is ever-so-slightly toned down from hers on the eyes, making it a bit more wearable for the average person. This is a look that will work on all skin-tones, eye colors, and hair colors because none of the shades are too cool or too warm toned. The matte finishes on the eyes are perfect for looking sophisticated but sexy and as an added bonus, if you’re worried about wrinkles around the eye area, matte eyeshadow shades do not settle into fine lines.
[ALL PHOTOGRAPHY ON THIS SITE IS TAKEN BY REBECCA KAZIMIR. NO PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.]
[This article contains a sample product provided by the brand or PR company. Beauty Gala’s opinions are our own, and we commit ourselves to honesty in our reviews and descriptions at all times. Sample products are not guaranteed a review. For consideration of your product, please send all PR requests to Rebecca@beautygala.com, or by using our Press Inquiry Form.]