Beauty sample boxes seem to be the newest trend in beauty services on the internet. The product is usually sold in some type of feminine packaging, containing several surprise sample beauty products inside. Two major beauty sample boxes being provided out there are My Pretty Pink Box and Birch Box. My Pretty Pink Box is described on the website as a “pretty, little box filled with beauty samples.” The owner believes this gives shoppers a chance to try products from a number of companies, both established and upcoming. For a monthly fee, each box contains handpicked beauty items, and includes at least one to two full size products each month. When I won a Twitter contest for a free box, I excitedly anticipated receiving it. So how did Beauty Gala like My Pretty Pink Box?
My Pretty Pink Box
My Pretty Pink Box is a pretty, little box filled with beauty samples that gives consumers a chance to try beauty products from both established and up and coming companies. Enjoy samples, products, and special discounts from their retailers. You also receive at least 1 to 2 full size products each month. Many times, each box has more. My Pretty Pink Box varies in pricing from month to month, and is announced a few days before each release. Each month, different retailers will contribute to the box, causing the difference in price.
After waiting for almost four weeks for my contest prize, My Pretty Pink Box arrived at my house in a bright pink, basic cardboard box. Inside, there was a small sheet of pink and purple floral tissue paper, which, when removed, revealed the contents of My Pretty Pink Box. The packaging is simple, basic, and to the point.
Inside My Pretty Pink Box, there was a general note from Linda Granillo, the owner of My Pretty Pink Box.
Also, inside, were the following samples of beauty products, and my thoughts on each:
- Body by Brigitte Hair Removal Kit Sample came in a small wrapped package, with a few wax strips that claim to provide ouch proof methods of removing hair at home. I personally thought this was a great product to include a sample of, as many women absolutely dread hair removal, and are constantly searching for new and improved ways to to do so. This is a great way to test out a hair removal product before splurging on the full size kit.
- Surgeon’s skin secret Beeswax Moisturizer was one of the larger sized products in the box. It is a honey and almond scented beeswax based moisturizer, perfect for using on dry, chapped skin. I have been applying this product to my cuticles, and it works fantastic. It smells great (I love anything honey scented), and it feels hydrating without being greasy. This is definitely a product I could see myself recommending, and purchasing in the future. Kudos to My Pretty Pink Box for including this product.
- mark Samples were your basic run of the mill “magazine cutout” samples you can find inside of an Avon catalog, or from an Avon representative. The one I received was a sample of mark “Calm & Composed” moisturizer, and a scratch and sniff cut out of mark Citrus Bloom perfume. While these samples can certainly pique some consumers interests, they were small, and overall too bland for my tastes to catch my eye for a future purchase.
- John Masters Organics Sweet Orange & Silk Protein Styling Gel Sample is a small metallic foiled pouch of an alcohol-free, organic styling gel full of body-building nutrients. You can apply this to wet or to dry hair, and it is great for color treated hair.
- NYX Liquid Liner in 05 Electric Blue is a liquid eyeliner in a bright medium blue shade. What else can I say about this product? I love NYX Cosmetics, and almost everything from their product line. This is a full size liquid liner, and I was very pleased to receive this in the box.
- myfaceworks Aloe Vera Facial Mask Sample is a good sized pouch of an aloe vera based face mask, which is great for soothing and healing over-worked skin. This face mask is particularly suitable for normal to dry skin.
- Yagolicious Cosmetics Lipstick in “Matador Red” was another full size product within the box. The lipstick was completely melted by the time it arrived at my door. It was stuck inside the top of the cap, and completely deformed. The lipstick was smooth, long-lasting, and beautiful. Kudos to My Pretty Pink Box for including smaller, home-grown companies such as Yagolicious Cosmetics, however, greater thought should have went into what types of products are being shipped. Seeing as how it is fairly warm in most US states this time of year, this product would have melted via transport to most addresses.
- NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Hera is a full size NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil. I absolutely love these lip pencils, however, this again was a huge disappointment. It was completely melted inside the box, causing a mess, and it never quite formed back into its proper shape. Had I paid the monthly fee for this product, I would have requested a replacement, because paying for product that is completely unusable is unacceptable.
The concept behind My Pretty Pink Box is fabulous because it provides a great symbiotic relationship between business owner and beauty companies. It gives up and coming cosmetic companies a chance to land their products into the hands of consumers, and it provides the owner of My Pretty Pink Box a chance to help consumers discover that up and coming “it” item.
While the website states it takes 2-10 days to receive your order, I received mine in a little over three weeks. I was a contest winner via social media, and that does not necessarily apply to contest winners, but it is worth noting that there was very little communication between the company owner and myself when questioning where my product was.
Bottom line: My Pretty Pink Box is a unique, exciting concept for beauty lovers and consumers who wish to try products ahead of time. However, more care needs to be noted when using certain samples during the hot spring and summer months when products may melt and become unusable. I was also slightly disappointed at the customer service, though again, I was simply a contest winner, and not a paying customer.
My Pretty Pink Box can be purchased at My Pretty Pink Box Online. My Pretty Pink Box prices vary per month depending on what products are inside the box, and shipping is not included in the price of the box.
Do you like the sample box idea? Would you purchase a product like this monthly?
Feel free to use the contact form, or leave a comment below.
[ALL PHOTOGRAPHY ON THIS SITE IS TAKEN BY REBECCA KAZIMIR. NO PHOTOGRAPHS ARE TO BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.]